Seagoville has a long, rich history. In 1876, a man gentleman named T.K Seago found the town of Seago. He was able to achieve this by clearing the timber on his land and building the first store. His store featured groceries and dry goods worth $200. Mr. Seago assumed the role of Postmaster in 1881 and remained in the area until about 1883, before moving to Comanche Texas to represent the county of Comanche in Texas Legislature.
Brinegar School was the first learning institution to be erected in Seago and was situa ed in an area now known as Heard Park. Professor J.T Doss built the second school which was made from frame in 1880 but it was later destroyed by fire in 1909. The next school was built from bricks in 1910 and served as an high school. It was situated on a site that is currently occupied by Seagoville Elementary School.
Seago became popular in 1880 as a result of the T & NO Rail Road coming through the area. This made the small community bustle with activity. It also meant that citizens did not have to travel for miles to Lawson in order to get their mail. Farmers also benefited from the rail road as they could now transport their cotton to Dallas via the railroad instead of using wagons. Prior to the railroad, The Trinity River had locks where the Seago’s incoming freight could be received by river barges. Portions of the locks can still be seen today when the area experiences severe drought.
Seago’s first official plat was recorded in Dallas County Deed Records in 1883. The second plat was filed in 1926 but this time the City of Seagoville was incorporated into it. The “ville” was added by the U.S. Post Office in an effort to avoid confusion with another Texas city named Sego.
First Church, Newspaper and Doctor
O. E Baten pastored The First Baptist Church which was organized in 1876. In 1885, The First United Methodist Church was built. The Seagoville Star was the city’s first newspaper. It initiated publication in 1907 with W.S. McCauley as the editor. The newspaper underwent a name change in 1913 and became known as the Seagoville News. This time the editor was Fred R. Kreiger. Dr. S.M Rutherford was Seagoville’s first known doctor.
In those days, the economy thrived on cotton and the first cotton gin was built by Mr. B.F Peak in 1879.The first farming implements sold in Seagoville was in 1890 from a mercantile business that was established by J.L Fly. In that same year, Mr. Fly was elected Justice of the Peace. Mr. Fly had two sons, Ben H. Fly and J. Lawrence Fly. They served as County judge of Dallas and Assistant U.S. District Attorney respectively.
Seagoville Lee Cemetery is among the oldest cemeteries in Dallas County and is located at Highway 175 and Seagoville Road intersection. The cemetery was named after the James W. Lee family and features 3 acres which consists of more than 1200 grave sites. The oldest grave in the cemetery is that of Samule T. Cravens who died in 1872. The epitaphs on the graves at Seagoville Lee Cemetery are reflective of families that pioneered the city.
A.H McWhorter built three brick buildings in 1914. One of them was used to house a moving picture show. M.P Hawthorne built five other brick buildings around the same time. Seagoville residents got their water from an artesian well that was dug in 1912. The largest farm in Texas which spanned several thousand acres was located in Seagoville and was owned by Mr. C.C Cobb.
The Federal Correctional Institution which is still in use today was built in the 1930’s. The facility was built as a detention center for women and has since then made significant contributions to Seagoville’s economy through the provision of jobs.
The population in Seagoville currently stands at approximately 13, 850.